"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art." - La Rochefoucauld

.

Monday, May 3, 2010

Asparagus and Mushroom Puff Pastry Pie

It's springtime, and that means asparagus is in season, which means it's cheaper and yummier than usual. This pie is an easy, delicious way to include this nutrient-packaged green veggie in your meal plan.

When we were making this meal, we came across some portobello mushrooms for only $.99 at the grocery store, so we used those instead of the standard button mushrooms. I highly recommend it.

Asparagus and Mushroom Puff Pastry Pie

Servings: 6
Total Cost: $10 - 12
Reheat Factor: 5/5 - Delish!
Freezer Factor: 4/5
More about the Ratings.

Ingredients
(4 Not in Pantry)

2 bunches fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces

6 cloves garlic, diced
2 tbsp olive oil
1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
1 cup prepared hollandaise sauce
1 (17.25 ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2. Using a steamer basket above boiling water, add asparagus and cover pan. Cook about 6 minutes.
3. Add olive oil to pan, cook mushrooms and garlic for about 5 minutes or until cooked.
4. Remove from heat. Add asparagus to the mix.
3. Prepare the hollandaise sauce according to package directions. Stir into the asparagus and mushrooms.
4. Lay one sheet of puff pastry out flat in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish, letting any extra dough go up the sides.
5. Spread the asparagus mixture evenly over the dough. Top with the other sheet of pastry, and pinch the edges together to seal.
6. Optional: If you want a prettier, glazed top to the pie, beat one egg and add 2 tbsp of water. Then brush a light coating over the top of the pie.
7. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until pastry is golden brown. Cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.

4 comments:

  1. Ohhhh this sounds delsih! Thanks for posting on Just Another Meatless Monday! Hope to see you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Juliana, this is a lovely recipe. I stopped by your blog just to say hello, but stayed much longer than I planned. I was lured by your older posts and had to work my way through them. I really like your blog and will be back as often as I can to see what you've been cooking. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura -- I will definitely be back for a future Meatless Monday. I love checking out the other recipes there and posting my own.

    Mary -- Thanks!! I am so glad you enjoy the blog. I've really had fun writing it. I look forward to exploring your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so great! quick yet "gourmet"!!!

    ReplyDelete