"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art." - La Rochefoucauld

.

Friday, April 16, 2010

Green Bean Casserole (without Canned Soup!)

For Easter, I ALMOST made green bean casserole, but I thought the recipes I wanted to try might be too heavy along with my planned multiple-course meal. During my casserole journey, I found an interesting history of the traditional cream of mushroom soup version of this dish on Random Musing of a Deco Lady that's worth a read. I also found a recipe on Frugal Gourmom that intrigued me, so I decided to give it a go as a meal this week! We forgot to purchase the bacon, but it was still absolutely delicious! I highly recommend it.

I'll post the ingredients here and my usual ratings, just so you're hooked, but you'll have to go to her blog to get the full recipe.

Not Your Mama's Green Bean Casserole

Servings: 8 (We halved it.)
Total Cost: $6 - 8
Reheat Factor: 5/5 - Just as good the next day!
Freezer Factor: Unknown
More about the Ratings.

Ingredients
(6 not in Pantry)

2 bags of frozen green beans (I used fresh green beans.)
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour
1 hefty tbsp of kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 small sweet onion, diced finely
1 clove garlic, minced
3 cups of 2% milk
1 lb of crispy bacon, cooked & drained
1 bag/container of French Fried Onions
1 cup of shredded mozzarella
1 cup of shredded colby/jack

No comments:

Post a Comment