"To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art." - La Rochefoucauld

.

Friday, April 23, 2010

Avocado Frappe -- Why Won't These Damn Things Ripen?

Last week, my husband and I bought some avocados from the Farmer's Market in order to make fresh guacamole for an event happening a few days later. Wow, what a stupid idea. The avocados were still as hard as a rock by the time the event rolled around, so we had to run to the grocery store to buy ripe avocados for the gathering.

Since we were left with three avocados and no plan for them, I scoured the internet for an interesting avocado recipe, discovered Avocado Frappe, and made a few changes. We have all the ingredients required already, so it was really easy to throw together.

Avocado Frappe

Servings: 5
Total Cost: $3 - 4
Reheat Factor: N/A -- Served cold!
Freezer Factor: 3/5 -- I'm sure it freezes alright, but part of what makes it so delicious is how fresh it tastes.
More about the Ratings.

Ingredients
(2 Not in Pantry)

2 avocados
1 tablespoon orange zest
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1 pinch salt
3 cups milk
1 tbsp sugar

Peel avocados and remove the pits. Cut flesh into chunks.
Put all the ingredients in a blender, and blend until smooth.
Pour into dish, cover, and refrigerate. Serve chilled. Garnish with avocado slices if desired.

5 comments:

  1. A way to ripen avocado's is to leave them on the counter in a paper bag. It should take 3-5 days to ripen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip! I've been enjoying your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another way accelerate the ripening is to place an apple with the avocados in a paper bag on the counter. The gases from the apples should help speed up the ripening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't heard that before. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! I love avocado and this sounds awesome. I definitely hear you on the ripening thing. I try to buy avocados every other week so I have some around when I feel inspired to cook with them. The brown paper bag and apple sounds like a good way to go too!

    ~Aubree Cherie

    ReplyDelete